March 08, 2012

The Tryst - Second Campaign Challenge

Using four of the prompts, doing a flash fiction, a pitch or logline,  an inspired poem.
Additionally, 
attempting three of the  activities tied by a common theme,
in a genre never before attempted,
and requesting a critique.


Flash Fiction

All that was left was to wait it out.
He stared at her, elegant looking despite the wet hair from the drizzle that caught them unprepared. Shooing away the starving kids at the garbage dumps hadn’t been easy, grim remainders of his past. He shifted his leg stump away from the jetting rails of what had once been the bridge of Bridgewater town. The pain would resurface soon making travel a nightmare.
The message had been delivered, the bird in his trap, dawn bringing the well earned reward. He day dreamed of the golden patterns, enjoyable side effects of the pain killing serum.


In a happier time reflected in her grandfather’s picture in the burlap, the sneak would have a name not just a number. The one who had foreseen the rise of Stonia, now something evoking fear and despondency was long dead but the movement he co-founded was alive in the hidden depths. She often wondered what had turned the still beautiful woman into the epitome of sadism.
Eric, she felt an ache at the very sound... this pathetic human staring at her brought her closer to the goal, the mission’s success hanging on his ignorance.

wc 198

Pitch/Logline


 In a world bereft of most natural resources, the International Council rules with an iron fist. The  self labelled high priestess and sadist Stonia, the true wielder of power ruthlessly mows any opposition. But the MOB, an underground resistance plots her demise, their reluctant assassin, the unassuming Charlotte, granddaughter of one of the founders,
A simple plan that needs only an image and the medical skills of the widow of the previous leader, finds her embroiled in a moral conflict that could sabotage the mission and destroy the movement...

Wc 89

Poem - Form 'Ode'


Grey cloaks the land,
Where once walked the green maiden
Lovely and captivating visions she spun.
The birds sang, the river hummed
the mad wind whistled in passing.
Happy faces, laughing eyes, scampering feet
were not yet yellowing postcard smiles.

She stood there, straight backed yet unsure,
taking in the detail,
stilling the mind and heart
with the skilled hands of years past.
The expectations weighed
heavy on her chest.
The spirit never truly waned nor wavered
until she met her,
The mother who could have been hers.

For the Rach Writes' Second Campaigner Challenge

Prompt 1: 
Two people are sitting together under the remains of a concrete bridge. Their backs are against a rusted bridge support. One person’s leg is cut. The other person has wet hair. 

Four picture prompts.

Do one or more of the following:
  1. Write a pitch/logline for a book based on the prompts (less than 100 words)
  2. Write a short story/flash fiction piece of less than 200 words based on the prompts
  3. Write a poem with a twist using the prompts as inspiration (in less than 200 words)
  4. Write a story/poem in five sentences, each sentence based on one of the prompts
  5. Write a poem/flash fiction piece (in less than 200 words) about the water pear *without* using the words “pear”, “spoon”, or “droplet”.
For added difficulty/challenge:
  • Complete at least three of the above activities and tie them all together with a common theme (feel free to either state the theme in your post or leave us to guess what it might be)
  • Write in a genre that is not your own
  • Ask Challenge entrants to critique your writing.

25 comments:

Liza said...

I especially liked your pitch. (#30)

Traci Kenworth said...

Giving you The Paperclip Award. Details at http://www.tracikenworth.wordpress.com.

21 Wits said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say you did a marvelous job of keeping it all in a common thread...I especially like the visions, like, the starving kids at the garbage dump, the leg stump...still beautiful woman into the epitode of sadism, the reluctant assassin....drizzle and everything visionary completes such a moving piece for me! Wonderful writing!

Cherie Reich said...

Great job! I really love the poem, and I'd read more. :)

Komal Kant said...

Congratulations! You have been shortlisted to move onto stage two.

Golden Eagle said...

Great use of theme throughout the three pieces!

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

Loved your video on Lee's blog. Just wanted to say win or lose you are a winner. I love that you are into dreams.
dreamweaver

Shannon Lawrence said...

Excellent job! I like them all, but I think the poem is my favorite.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

Talli Roland said...

Lovely! They're all fantastic - but I think I like the poem the best.

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

Thanks for stopping by my place. I didn't scroll down far enough to notice the Follower section, I am happy to say I found it this time. The video you made for Alex blew my mind. You are a talented DREAMER! And you do sound like a little girl.
dreamweaver

Tonja said...

That's a tough challenge - I love the first one especially.

M Pax said...

You create such wonderful, imaginative worlds, Rek, with interesting characters. I agree with Debra, you're a talented dreamer.

MISH said...

This is wonderful, Rek. You are a super-talented dreamer... such rich imagery in your writing!

Melissa said...

Great imagery an a very distinctive voice. Loved your entries!
Melissa Maygrove #14

Unknown said...

Interesting POV shift at the end of the flash fiction. It certainly intrigued me. I would read more.

Deniz Bevan said...

The poem is my favourite of the three. Did you really create all this backstory just for the challenge? Wow!

Unknown said...

Very imaginative Rek! Your poem was my favourite!

Kelly Robinson said...

Found you on the A-Z list. Love your Pre-Raphaelite blog design! Look forward to your posts.

Tess Julia said...

Great use of words! By the way, I tagged you on my blog:)

RaeAnn said...

That was lovely. Wonderful. Moving. Love it.

Katie Dunn said...

Congratulations! You've been shortlisted to the semi-finals=)

Elise Fallson said...

I loved your poem.
"Happy faces, laughing eyes, scampering feet
were not yet yellowing postcard smiles." What amazing imagery you have here. I wish I could write poetry but I'm terrible at it. Anyway, I'm glad I got to your entry, it was a joy to read. (:

Unknown said...

I liked the poem best of all, I think.

(I'm #82.)

PT Dilloway said...

You've been tagged to join the Great Star Wars Blogathon! Details here: http://www.troublewithroy.com/2012/03/so-you-say-youve-got-this-idea-on-how.html

A said...

That' why I could never be a writer. You're so good at this Rek, you're really gifted.

Post a Comment

Glad you made it this far...would love to hear your take on the words scribbled. A comment every now and then keeps the blues away. :D

Since, crazy Mr. Blogspot won't let me reply to the comments here (is upset with the water ladies ever since they refused to verify visitors)...will do the next best thing, drop in to your blog to say my Vanakkam/Namaste/Salaam/Hello.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...